Alfredo Rodriguez - Tocororo, 2016 cd release with special guests Richard Bona, Ibrahim Maalouf
Each recording by Cuban pianist and composer Alfredo Rodríguez tells a story. His albums are not collections of musical pieces but tales told in a distinctive voice. His 2011 debut, `Sounds of Space`, served as an introduction to his bold talent. Guests on `Tocororo` include Ibrahim Maalouf (trumpet), Richard Bona (vocals, electric bass) and Ibeyi (vocals).
The thirteen tracks on `Tocororo` - the name refers to Cuba`s national bird - include five originals by Rodríguez and a fresh reading of Compay Segundo`s classic song "Chan Chan," which became an international hit after the Buena Vista Social Club phenomenon. There are also nods to modern Cuban songwriting such as "Venga La Esperanza" by singer and songwriter Silvio Rodríguez (no relation) and "Sabanas Blancas," a musical postcard of Havana by Gerardo Alfonso.
Personnel: Alfredo Rodríguez (piano, Suzuki melodion, synthesizer, vocals), Reinier Elizarde (acoustic bass), Michael Olivera (drums, percussion), Ibeyi, Ganavya Doraiswamy, Antonio Lizana (vocals), Richard Bona (vocals, electric bass), Ibrahim Maalouf (trumpet), Ariel Bringuez (tenor and soprano saxophones, clarinet, flute)
2. Yemaya (3:42) (con Ibeyi)
3. Raices (Roots) (4:28) (con Richard Bona)
4. Gitanerías (3:58) (con Antonio Lizana)
5. Tocororo (5:02) (con Ganavya)
6. Venga la Esperanza (4:24) (con Ibrahim Maalouf)
7. Ay, Mamá Inés (3:14) (con Richard Bona)
8. Sabanas Blancas (4:05) (con Ibeyi)
9. Jesu, Joy of Man`s Desiring (3:14)
10. Kaleidoscope (3:05) (con Ibrahim Maalouf & Ganavya)
13. Ay, Mamá Inés [Remix] (2:38)
total playing time : 47:29