Titel : Rough Guide To Latin Rare Groove (LP)
Artiest(en) : various
Genre : Vinyl: LPs nieuw
Medium : Vinyl
Jaar : 2014
Label : Network
This 180 gram limited edition LP includes free download card with 6 extra bonus tracks + full-lenght album from Spanglish Fly.
All the tracks in this treasure trove of trans-national Latin grooves from yesterday and today are either favorites of DJs and collectors but are otherwise unknown, have not yet been released, or have not been digitally reissued before. Unlike most Rough Guides, you may not recognize any names, but that is the point. When you dig deep, the payback is even greater.
1. Nelson Y Sus Estrellas - Aguardiente Y Pollo (2:09)
2. Federico Y Su Combo Latino - Todo El Mundo (2:47)
3. Mario Allison Y Su Combo - Bamba Curé (2:20)
4. Los Kenya - Esa Mujer (2:58)
5. Gilberto Sextet - Do You Want To Be Free (3:06)
6. Piper Pimienta Y Su Orquesta - Pensamiento (3:28)
1. Spanglish Fly - My Shingaling Boy (4:29)
2. Los Po-Boy-Citos - Estelita’s Boogaloo (2:40)
3. Rumba Caliente - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (2:52)
4. Rumba Caliente - Papa Fue (4:09)
5. Ray Lugo - Yo Lo Que Quiero Es Vacilar (3:06)
While ‘rare groove’ as a genre owes its name to the London scene of the 1980s, it was used largely to describe obscure, hard to find soul, funk or jazz music from the US and was tied in with the world of dance DJs, promoted in the spirit of sourcing music for hip-hop or house music sampling. Latin jazz and to a lesser extent boogaloo was included within this purview, but not particularly salsa or other genres of Latin music. This collection throws a wider net to include not only the required old-school Latin/soul/jazz, but also mambo, salsa, cumbia, descarga and several cuts that are just plain hard to define. From the lesser-known locale of Venezuela, Nelson y Sus Estrellas, Federico y Su Combo Latino and Los Kenyas are sure to surprise and delight. Alfredo Guitiérrez y Los Caporales Del Magdalena, Piper Pimienta y Su Orquesta, and Afrosound represent Colombia, while Mario Allison, Carlos Pickling and Grupo 2000 hail from the recently re-discovered mother-load of Peru. No compilation of this sort would be complete without some sought-after tracks from the US, so we’ve included Joe Quijano, Orchestra Dee Jay and the Gilberto Sextet. Bringing us up to date, you’ll find a healthy portion of contemporary international artists finishing off the set. Spanglish Fly, Los Po-Boy-Citos, Setenta, Rumba Caliente, Los Charly`s Orchestra and Ray Lugo all share a strong appreciation for the rare groove aesthetic but are clearly from today’s scene.
Extra tracks on download card:
- Alfredo Gutierrez Y Los Caporales De Magdalena - No Pago Na` (2:37)
- Joe Quijano & His Conjunto Cachana - Chevere (3:44)
- Afrosound - Pa` Ti Mami (3:03)
- Orchestra Dee Jay - Black Shadow (3:39)
- Carlos Pickling Y Su Organo Espacial - Domingo Por La Mañana (2:42)
- Grupo 2000: Denisth (2:50)
- Setenta - Funky Tumbao (3:42)
© 2015 Most Wanted Latin Music. Alle rechten voorbehouden.