LÉVE LÉVE Sao Tomé & Principe sounds 70s-80s, fantastic double LP on Bongo Joe label, 2020 release.
The two Portuguese-speaking African islands of Sao Tomé & Principe, located in the Gulf of Guinea, created an unique music called Puxa : a refined mixture of various musical components from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. A blend of Semba, Merengue, Kompas, Soukouss, Coladeira patterns, often pushing forward with a voodoo-like energy, solid bass lines, delicate melodies and backing harmonies of the rich Sao Tomean melodic traditions. Very first compilation focusing on the golden age of these island’s sounds, the 16 tracks selected will surely set fire on all dance floors !
Léve-Léve is the first ever compilation devoted to music from São Tome and Principe, two small islands situated off the coast of Gabon in central Africa. The album unravels a story of liberation where the music of Africa, Europe and the Americas unify with a carefree spirit personified by a phrase the islanders use all the time: “léve, léve” (“take it easy”). With echoes of Angolan semba and merengue, of Brazilian afoxê, of coladeira from Cape Verde and dance music from the Caribbean, it is a sound fiercely proud of its island heritage, sung in local dialects and using distinctive local rhythms.
Vinyl Gatefold 2LP + 32p booklet
1. Africa Negra - Mino bô bé quacueda (7:40)
2. Africa Negra - Zimbabwe (3:21)
3. Sangazuza - Sun Malé (5:31)
4. Os Úntuès - Chi bô sá migu di védê (2:22)
1. Sum Alvarinho - M`konvètá dédo (4:19)
2. Conjunto Equador - Madô (5:30)
3. Tiny das Neves - Cladênço padê cluço (6:52)
4. Conjunto Mindelo - Taji océdo (3:02)
1. Africa Negra - Aninha (5:41)
2. Pedro Lima - Nga ba compensadora (8:05)
3. Sangazuza - Cortição (4:07)
4. Os Úntuès - Piquina piquina (1:50)
1. Conjunto Equador - Meu di plôcô (4:28)
2. Sum Alvarinho - Tólá muandgi (5:20)
3. Pedro Lima e Conjunto Os Leonenses - Esatela licu (5:18)
4. Agrupamento da Ilha - Bô gosa so txi (4:38)